Wednesday 18 July 2007

ONE MONTH ON...

...and I'm finally writing again. Is anyone still there, are you still looking? I'm sorry. I've been writing and rewriting this post for a week now wanting to make up for my slovenly approach to blogging but all I have is this, a brief summary and a promise of better things to come.



Our holiday in the Lake District was just what we wanted and needed, some sunshine, a little too much local ale, and a gorgeous cottage. But since then life has taken a turn for the worse. We've had too much to think about and on top of it all have barely seen summer.

I was starting to feel exhausted coming to work in a procession of soggy shoes, the bottom of my jeans wrecked from soaking up the endless rain, and giving the local takeaways way too much business (I'll introduce you to our favourites one of these days). But, last week, things started to look up. I found bargain flights for our trip to Chicago and New York in September (and am already dreaming about sitting in Madison Square Park with a Shake Shack burger), we went out for a great dinner and drank cocktails until 3am, we made brunch and went for a walk in the Botanics, and then last Wednesday I turned 28.

I don't believe in working on my birthday so we woke up a little late and the sun was finally shining. Chris went to pick up my birthday cake along with some croissants and pain au chocolat from our local bakery. We slowly got ourselves ready, booked a three night trip to London to coincide with a one day festival, and headed out to eat lunch on the terrace at Oloroso. One relaxed lunch, one and a bit bottles of Chilean Sauvignon Blanc, two sale tops, one new bottle of Marc Jacobs cucumber eau de toilette, a lip gloss, and a few cocktails later and all was looking a bit rosier in our world. We drank some more, ate some cake, enjoyed the day and on Thursday woke up to more rain.

Still, all was well and I had a birthday party to plan. On Saturday Chris and I went to buy mojito ingredients (mojitos three times in one week is possibly a little excessive no matter how much you kid yourself that all that mint and lime goodness cancels out the rum) and food. Having spent an age trying to decide what to make we eventually spent Saturday afternoon preparing courgette fritters, pea and garlic crostini, caponata topped crostini, cheesy feet shaped biscuits, houmous, baba ganoush, and some cocktail sausages from Crombies. We cooked our food, drank with our friends, and saw the sun come up at 5am. Needless to say Sunday was a painful experience with the one bright point of a very juicy cheeseburger.

7 comments:

Janet said...

still here... :-)

Kelly-Jane said...

I've been checking!

Sounds like a great birthday, good food and shopping!!

Your holidays sound lovely too :)

Gemma said...

Thanks Janet, nice to see a new face! I just looked at your blog - yum!

Kelly-Jane, thanks for checking. I was having a big catch up session with my blog reading yesterday and you've been making such lovely looking things.

Gemma x

Anonymous said...

Your birthday sounds phenomenal! Glad you are back.

Joe said...

Ditto the rest of the comments - still checking in often! Happy belated birthday!

Gemma said...

Hi Kristen and Joe, thanks so much for checking back.

Your blog is fab Joe.

Gemma x

kate said...

That sounds like a perfect way to celebrate your birthday. The view from the window is stunning.

Just wait till you are about to turn 50 - the thought of turning 28 seems like a dream from a long-ago past.
But at least I can still blog and garden.